Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Confessions of A Morning Person

I'm hoping this post will be somewhat therapeutic for me.... I am a morning person. Today was a perfect example. I got up at 5, worked out for 45 minutes, read my scriptures, was dressed and doing dishes by the time my kids got up. Now before you are all impressed by my amazingness let me add I am NOT a night person. I shut down after my kids go to bed and have a really hard time accomplishing anything in the evening... Hence why I was doing dishes in the morning. Some of you know that when Justin came over to my apartment for the first time I was asleep - it was 7 pm - I was a sophmore in college. I had gotten up at 4 that morning to study... again morning person, not a night person.

I dread the nights that Justin isn't home to help me put the kids to bed. Tonight was the perfect example. Tuesdays are especially bad because we don't get home from swimming lessons until 6:30, Justin has Scouts at 7, so we don't see him that much, unless he takes a break between jobs - which I admit he usually does. So I started out by giving myself a pep talk, "you will not rush through scriptures and prayer, you will be patient, you will enjoy this time with your kids, you will not yell." I accomplished the first two, failed the last two. Did not rush through scriptures and prayer. Did not enjoy my time, definitely yelled. I just get so impatient when they don't listen right away. when I am exhausted and done. This is how the yelling part went (I try and ask Josh if there is anything else he needs before I leave so he doesn't keep coming out, driving me crazy and disturbing Anna) so I ask him. He replies, "I forgot to go pee." I'm thinking, "great, the thing that will take the longest and I just got anna settles," I say, "OK go!" He stops outside the door and gives me a long explanation of how I will need to help him do up his buttons afterwards. When he won't go in, or quite talking I just lose it, "Josh, just go pee! Go in there! I'm done!" Then I feel awful. So when he comes out I help him with the buttons, say, "I'm sorry for yelling, are you sorry for not listening? Friends?" Get him in bed. Anna is all riled up again, Josh wants to ask questions about the ceiling.... " I just leave slamming the door behind me, and let them scream for 10 minutes before I go back in.

They'll know that I love them... in the morning.

Everyone has the same 24 hours - I apparently only function in the first half.

There's always room for improvement - we definitely need to have another power of moms on patience.....One step forward, two steps back:)

8 comments:

Alli E. said...

Confessions of a Night Owl...In college I would've been way more likely to stay up studying until 4:00 am, than wake up then! I am impressed with your mornings. It takes me a lot longer to get going!! And I totally get the one step forward two steps back motto! I learned that as soon as I had my Josh! But it does get easier as they get older...

Alli E. said...

PS I think we are on exact opposite schedules. I read my scriptures at night after the kids are in bed and I just got back from the gym and it's almost 10 pm!!

Grammy Suzzy said...

I used to be a night owl, but, since I crave "me" time, and it only comes when they are asleep, I am certainly a morning person now. I'm up at 3am to exercise, run at 4, everyone up at 5 and out the door so I can clean and do my other work. If I wait till later, I am totally worthless. And, if Dee wants to rent a movie, I rarely get to see all of it, or any of it, for that matter. But, don't feel bad, for I do believe it says in the scriptures that we are to arise early and retire to our beds early...And hang in there. You are a great Mommy. Just do your best, and, most of all, be as happy as you can. That beautiful smile of yours can make anyone happy!

Amber said...

I think I am still trying to figure out what I am...I want to be a morning person :) when I wake up early the weather is so nice, and it is so quiet, but I haven't been able to drag myself out of bed before 8am in quite a while--maybe I am just making up for all the years rachel woke me up at 6am. ha ha Today I am getting a little of both--it is 8:30 and Rach is still sleeping away since we have been letting her stay up later during summer.

Cami said...

I love you Nicole! This afternoon I just told someone that I am a great mother from 6 in the morning until 6 at night and then I start to go downhill and that's part of the reason why bedtime is between 6:30 and 7:00.

Thanks for writing this post - I so feel exactly the same way and I'm glad to know I'm not the only one!

Laura said...

Glad to know you're not the only one with a short fuse when you are tired!
I used to be a morning person...and then I married Kevin...now I don't know what I am.

Michelle said...

I used to be a morning person. These days I don't seem to get anything done in the morning or the evening. My only good hours are from 10 am to 2 pm. I need to work on that. Baby steps.

The Buchanan Family said...

I completely understand what you mean...and I only have one child to worry about. I get quite impatient during the evening hours too...because yes, I am a morning person too! Walking away is sometimes better than feeling mad and frustrated...or at least that's what I tell myself! Hang in there super mom...you're doing wonderful! Muah!