Thursday, June 28, 2012

Mom's 50... Which Means I Am Almost 30.....Weird...



I love this picture of Mom, she looks so happy:)  For her birthday this year we threw her a surprise party.  It was NOT easy.  Here's how it all happened....  My Dad calls me about a month before Mom's birthday and says something along the lines of, "Mom's turning 50 and I want to make it special will you help me think of something we can do...."  So I call Jessie who decides that Mom would really like a party with her closest friends and family, but also that she would stress if she knew about the said party and therefore we should make it a surprise.  I call Dad back with our decision and leave a message.  Days later I still haven't heard from him so I try again.  He was not super thrilled with the idea saying that he is not great at planning parties (I'm pretty sure it was his idea of a nightmare to be in charge of a party- which may explain why he never called me back)  I quickly reassured him that Jessie and I would do it, and then he jumped on board and quickly offered to bankroll everything!  Enter major problem.  Mom is a HUGE planner.  She kept asking what we were going to do for her birthday.  We kept saying everyone was coming into town for it and let's just hang out as a family.  Definitely not planned enough for her.... so, we decide that all the adults will take her out to lunch.  That sounded fun to her, but still not planned enough, so she decided (I think at Jessie or Brady's request) that all the adults would also go to the lake early that morning (we are talking 6ish).  I am panicking wondering when I will have time to make all the food.  So I back out saying I don't want to leave Max all day - for the lake and lunch.  Mom buys it, but keeps trying to think of ways that it will work out for me.... finally I win and stay home.  Everyone has a blast at the lake.  Everyone has a blast at lunch.  Now everyone is exhausted.  Enter Amy. She has by far the hardest job.  She has to get Mom out of the house for 2 hours, while everyone is here, and exhausted,  in order for us to have time to set up the party.  She finally resorts to almost throwing a fit and saying that she doesn't get enough alone time with Mom.  Mom thinks she's a brat, but leaves anyway.  And.... she was completely surprised.  Even the grand kids didn't give it away.  
 We hung pictures from every decade of her life on a clothes line for decoration.
 And had a s'more area.  Jessie did a fantastic job decorating.



 We didn't quite get the "surprised, scared, what is going on face"  but this was pretty close.
 Grand kids were so excited to be a part of it.






Me and Jess - I know Amy or Mom has a pic of everyone... please send....

 I put Brady in charge of making Brazilian limeade.  It was a much more intense job than I knew.  It took all four boys about an hour to make it, but oh it was delicious.
 We had to have all 50 candles.
Love Josh's face.  I have no idea what he was eating.

In summary.  It was a success, and it took Mom and Dad at least a week to recover from the insanely busy day.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

How awesome that you could surprise her. Job well done by everyone. Wish I could have been there to see it.