Alright maybe I'm grown up now that I've finally been paying attention to the presidential election and at least some of the other issues on the ballot. I've voted in pretty much every election don't get me wrong, but I haven't taken as much time as I should to really get to the bottom of some of the issues. And still I realize I am a little clueless. I got my absentee ballot in the mail last week and I have to admit that I'd never heard of some of the propositions. But I'm determined to change that. Luckily Justin loves politics so he's inspired me to try and understand, dig a little deeper, and not take everything the media says at face value.
One proposition that I do care a lot about is Proposition 8. So I just want to get my opinion out there. I believe that it is essential that this measure passes. I think a lot of people haven't really thought about the issue. It seems intolerant not to allow gay marriage. Which on the surface it may. However, tolerance does work both ways. If this measure doesn't pass and gay marriage is allowed to continue it is very likely that those who believe in traditional marriage will gradually become discriminated against more and more as they are viewed as discriminatory. In the current situation it is entirely possible to not condone homosexuality and still have friends that are homosexual. You don't have to accept the lifestyle to accept the person.
It will be hard to find a safe haven in which to teach our children that marriage is ordained by God as between a man and a woman. They will be taught in every public setting that marriage between gay couples is equal to marriage between heterosexual couples. It is state law in California that schools are required to teach respect for marriage as well as sex education. If this measure passes they will be required to teach homosexual marriage and homosexual relations along with the traditional values. Also, religious charities in Massachusetts, where a similar law has already been passed, have been forced to amend their policies. For example, a Catholic adoption agency was required to give children to homosexual couples or lose their license. They chose to lose their license rather than denounce the belief of their church. We've already seen cases in California where gay couples have attempted to sue churches/florists etc that refused to serve them because of personal beliefs. Where is religious freedom in these instances?
Proposition 8 is mostly a language issue. In California domestic partnerships already enjoy all the tax benefits etc. as married couples. The only thing they would lose if Proposition 8 passes is the title of marriage - which we as a society have defined as between a man and a woman for 100s of years. It is only between a man and a woman that a child can be created and raised. I deeply believe that this is the way that God intended it. There has been many studies done on the benefits of raising children with both a mother and a father as opposed to single-parent household or homosexual households. Although I do realize that it is not always feasible to have both parents in the picture - and children do turn out just fine - it is the ideal. I would encourage anyone who lives in California and has not thoroughly researched this issue to do so and make your voice heard (and check out the websites that I've posted at the top of my blog). - please leave me a comment - I'd love to know what everyone thinks.
2 comments:
I wish I had gotten an early ballot, it seems so much easier to sit and research each proposition and put more thought into it. Thanks for pointing out some of the side effects of passing the marriage prop. it is something hard to imagine everything that will be affected.
That is one of the most concise, thoughtful, and respectful posts that I have read about this issue. Maybe I should just put a link from my blog to this post so I don't have to think it up myself.
ps. Riddle me this: why are people suing and arresting in some cases and overall discriminating against people that don't support gay marriage on the charge that they're being discriminating??
Post a Comment