
My grandma passed away very unexpectedly last week and I just wanted to take some time to reflect and remember her. She was beautiful and looked nothing like me - not that I'm not beautiful:) - but was tiny and dark. This is her wedding day with her first husband my grandpa, who also passed away unexpectedly last summer.
She was a gourmet cook and had a love affair with dishes. The above picture probably wasn't any special occasion, she just enjoyed setting the table beautifully. My Mom bought paper plates while everyone was staying at her house for the funeral and my uncle joked that grandma would be turning over in her grave - had she actually been buried yet.
We spent several months at her house every summer when we lived in Saudi and had some great times. These are pictures of her back yard in Layton it was perfect for any outdoor game you can imagine.
We also went tubing a lot in the mountains by her house. I love the top picture of my Grandma. She's laughing and my Grandpa is totally ignoring her:)
It was really a sad hard weekend, but we did get to spend some time with family. Almost all her grandkids were at her funeral from places as far away as Missouri and New York. Family togetherness can always get dicey with that side of the family, but everyone actually got along this time - I think she would have been happy and proud.
Justin and Adam entertained all the kids during the viewing mostly running around outside. I'm SOOO grateful that he could come and be there as well.

We all got together for a family picnic at the park on Sunday - kids, step kids you name it. This is my step grandpa enjoying Anna although I've never once thought of him as that since he and my grandma were married right after I was born.
Adam may be the rock star with the toddlers but Justin was the rock star with the older kids. At this point I think they were trying to throw him in the fountain.
Oh and my Uncle Kerry (mom's little brother) was always the rock star with us and it looks like he's trying to carry that status to the next generation.
Mom had to give the eulogy and asked everyone at the picnic to share some memories of Grandma to help her write it. We heard some good stories - I don't think any of them actually made it into the eulogy. Like when my Uncle Kerry caught her making out with Grandpa in a car before they were married:) I didn't include any pictures of me because my kids didn't sleep the entire time we were there and I look like I got hit by a truck.Josh is really close to my Mom and I was worried that he would feel bad because I knew that she wouldn't feel like playing with him. So I tried to prep him by telling him that Grams was sad and wouldn't want to play. So everyday he'd give her a big hug and finally he asked, "Grams you happy now" She said, "Josh you make me sooo happy" and he said triumphantly, "I knew I could do it!"
I kind of wanted to do a top 10 things I loved about my grandma, but I thought they might all include food:) At the funeral all the grandkids that wanted to went up and said one thing they loved or remembered about Grandma. We were at first reluctant to do it worrying that it might go something like, "I love Grandma's pie. I love Grandma's ribs..." but it ranged from I like watching NCIS with Grandma to I love her sense of humor, to she was the one that was always there." She was a homemaker extradonaire. If any of you stay at home moms think what you do doesn't matter you should have looked around her funeral and seen how many lives she'd touched. Whenever I went up to see her in college she's always have something delicious for me, if I was staying the night she'd have a new toothbrush, just everything thoughtful and completely caring.The day to day stuff is what made Grandma so loved, but she did have a good sense of humor.
She loved to play games. However, she wasn't always known for her honesty. We were playing a game in which she had to bid by counting to three and putting out fingers for how many hands you thought you could take. She would always delay a little and check out everyone else's bid. When we called her on it, she just held up her hand and said, "It's my arthritis" and tried to look pathetic.
Josh called her his teeny tiny Grams and she was the one that completely won his love by giving him his cowboy boots which I'm sure you have all seen at church, school, the park....
OK this post is getting really long. I'll include my other thoughts and memories in my journal:). She was an amazing woman and truly influenced the world for good. I'm so grateful for the Gospel and that I know where she is right now. I know that her beloved mother was waiting to welcome her home.
Barbara Stephens Hamm:
Barbara passed away April 2, 2009 from complications following surgery. She was born June 23, 1933 in Kaysville UT to Wallace and Lois Stephens. She Married the love of her life; Jim Hamm in Layton UT. On March 17, 1983.
Barbara grew up in Kaysville UT, graduating from Davis High School. She married James K. Purdy and became the proud parent of four children. She married the love of her life; Jim Hamm in Layton UT on March 17, 1983 and added four step children to her family. The marriage was later solemnized in the Bountiful Temple summer of 2001.
Barbara and Jim Hamm met at Hill Air Force Base in Layton UT in early 1983 and immediately fell in love with each other. The love continued from that day forward to grow stronger every day. Barbara was a very special lady that always spoke her mind and was respected for that by all she came in contact with.
Her favorite times were when she was cooking and baking and being with her family. She and Jim would always hold hands wherever they went; whether just in town to shop or at church. They never went to bed without a good night kiss and saying “I love you” for over 26years. Her husband says this is the one thing he will always remember and honor about her for all of eternity.
She loved to plays games and cards with all of the grandchildren and playing “BS” with her was priceless! No one treated their dogs better, they never lacked for treats! Her love of dishes and fine china are legendary, she could always use just one more set.
Barbara is survived by her husband; Jim Hamm, four children; Jeffrey (Wendy) Purdy; Charlyn Shelton; Sandy (Doug) Esplin and Kerry (Debbie) Purdy. Four step children; Michael (Tamara) Hamm; Tony McQuirk; Jodi Zandel; Christopher (LoRayne) Hamm. Sister; Mary (Ross) Davis. She is also survived by 23 grandchildren and 17 great children.
9 comments:
This post made me teary! How wonderful that you were so close to her and got to know her so well. She sounds like a special lady and I know you will see her again.
Nicole, I am so sorry for your loss. Your blog was such a lovely tribute to her. She must have been a wonderful lady. I guess she was...she had your mom for a daughter, and you for a granddaughter!
Nicole...thank you for sharing your love and admiration for your grandmother. You have all been in my thoughts and prayers and I'm glad that you can stop to reflect on the happy times you had with her. She sounds like she's a huge inspiration to you.
It is so great that you have so many amazing memories of your grandma. She sounds fantastic.
those are a lot of great memories. The funeral part is no fun but I am glad that so much of your family was able to be there and reminise together. I love the pictures of Josh and Natalie
I love the part about how important the day to day stuff is and how she was so caring. She was such a sweet lady and I am glad I got to know her a little bit!!
that was a really good one.. grandma would have liked it. ironicly i was sitting here eating some of her canned apples when i decided to read your blog. im not going to lie... it got me as much as you asking if i missed brady while we were sitting at her funeral. love her. love you. love josh and anna. thanks for writting that.
love.
your sister jessica.
She was an amazing Mom! I'm sorry for all of your family's loss. Her memory will always remain through the example of goodness she taught you and your family.
I'm so sorry for your loss. My grandma passed away in December. It's so bittersweet. That was a beautiful tribute to her. She sounds like an amazing woman.
Post a Comment