This book is a history of Dubai. At first I thought it was too much in favor of everything that was going on, but the second half did go over all of the negative effects of this exploding city. It wasn't a page turner, but it was interesting, and gave me some good insights into that part of the world. I do still feel strangely connected to the Middle East, I'm not sure why....
After my last book post my friend Lindsay told me about one of her favorite books, Summers at Castle Auburn, which I immediately read, followed by the Truth Tellers Tale, and most recently this one. I have to say I LOVE this author. Her books always have a good love story, are intense, the type you don't want to put down, and are not super shallow. They don't have indepth philosphy in them, but there is usually an issue that makes you think, and you don't feel stupider for having read them. That said, her books are a little bit predictable after you read one. But that has never bothered me, I always read the last page first:)
If you are a fan of the Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants books, you may be as excited to learn as I was that she has written more - but they are adult books, with what that implies. Now some of you may know that I have extreme issues with books in which the couple breaks up or spends a ridiculous amount of time apart because of a communication issue - I just want to scream, if you just told him _____ you could live happily ever after, this is why I am NOT a Nicholas Sparks fan. But I have to admit this ALWAYS happens in her books as well. I usually have to take a break part way through - and when I say break I mean a couple of hours - to distance myself a little bit - and then I can finish them, and love them. I have been thinking, and I think the difference between her and Nicholas Sparks is that in her books I always end up satisfied with the way things work out...
I happened across My Name is Memory in the library. It has kind of an interesting premise. It is based on the assumption that we are all reincarnated from one life to the next, and never remember anything of our previous lives, although what happens does affect us (irrational fears etc, could be based on what happened previously) The main character is one of the exceptions, he never forgets any of his previous lives, and has the ability to recognize souls in different bodies. He fell in love with a girl in one of his early lives and looks for her in every life, but for various reasons they never end up together. Until this life... they happen to both be in the same town and be close to the same age.... I thought the idea behind it was interesting, and I also liked how the author explored different relationships. The main character's realization of how short life really was really affected how he interacted with his various families and friends, and not in the way you might think. It is a good love story, but the main guy does get a little annoying with how much he over thinks things....
The second book I read just this last weekend. I loved it, although I did have to take one of the afore mentioned breaks. It is about a trio friends who have spent summers together on an island outside of NY. I loved that the couple in it, knew each other inside and out, how they reacted to and cared about the other girl in the friendship, and the way it made me think about the different stages in life, childhood, teenage years, and adulthood It is in a lot of ways about leaving behind childhood. Ann Brashares's books are a little more serious, and possibly sappy, but I like them. But I do have to warn you in this book there is a bit of undescriptive sex and they say the F word once.
I believe in my last post I wrote about the book Gracling by this same author. I liked this book better. Again, it's got a good love story in it and makes me want to be courageous and save the world. The relationship between Fire and Archer drove me crazy just because I don't understand how anyone could really have that kind of relationship and be OK with it, but maybe they really do exist. Let me know what you think if you read it.
I have a thing with owning the last book in a series. Maybe it's similar to reading the last page (which yes I did do on this book and I don't even regret it) I own that last book in the Lord of the Rings Trilogy, the Harry Potter series, the Black Cauldron series, the Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants series, and now the Hunger Game series. I ended up really liking this book... after I thought about it and went back and reread the first one. I thought it was a realistically depressing description of war and how it affects people, and good to remember occasionally in my very peaceful life - not everyone in the world is as lucky as me. I'm kind of glad that she didn't have everyone live happily ever after, but I did want more details on what happened to certain characters. I do think she does an amazing job of character development in her books though. It's one of the books that I cried when it was done, yes it was sad, but I also had a hard time saying goodbye to my friends and re-entering my own world. I am ridiculous I know.

I have no idea if there are other Tennis Shoes among the Nephites fans out there, but after 5 years the next book is finally out.... and I am not loving it. He has too many characters and storylines going (kind of like the Work and the Glory got in the last books) I also feel like he is getting too concerned with deep doctrine. He has pages of notes on what he is basing his description of the Liahona (although he does have a kid named Liahona, so who am I to judge - girl or boy any guesses?)on, and whether or not Jesus had siblings. I did hear that the author left his family in between the time of the last book and this one though and I am making a valient effort not to let that cloud my judgement. I would completely recommend the first 8 books in the series (this is number 11), they are great to listen to on car trips.
P.S. I do get nervous giving book recommendations, it's kind of like letting people see a deeper part of your personality that they don't usually get to see, and worrying that they will reject it. So don't judge me too harshly:)
P.P.S If you happen to be my sister that has my name for Christmas, I would love the first two hunger games books - or any other good book for that manner:-) in fact almost any of the ones listed above would be GREAT!






8 comments:
I will be finishing Mockingjay today (not my favorite of the three) and desperately need something to read next. Thanks for the recommendations. Can't wait to try some of them.
Can't wait to read the book on Dubai! Sam has heard that it is a great place for doctors to go work for a little while and make a bunch of money. I of course have my reasons of being leary but don't have much to back up my arguement. I will do some reading and then in the crazy off chance that this ridiculous idea is brought up again I will be ready :)
Ooohh, thanks Nicole! I am so exciting to start reading some of these. I am reading a book now called "One Thousand White Women" that I like but don't LOVE for a few reasons...maybe I'll write you an email :)
Thanks for the recommendations. Ahem. You read the last page first? That's a punishable offense in my book (punny, eh?).
I'm so excited to get my read on. I just have to pay my library fines first... My last trip to the library was the worst and then it takes me awhile to go pack, hence the fines.
That was meant to say go "back".
I am excited to read some of these!!
Hey Nicole, looks like the half in St George (1/22) is a week after my race in Phoenix so I don't think I will be able to do both. I thought about convincing my friends to race there instead of phoenix, but it also looks like the race registration is closed.
Post a Comment