Monday, July 2, 2012

The Violin

Josh has been begging to take violin lessons for a very long time.  Random - neither Justin or I play, but he heard one once and has been fascinated ever since.  We borrowed a friends toy violin and he marched around the house with it for days.  We finally agreed to let him try this summer.  After we got his instrument and books he listened to the accompanying CD and told me, "Violins are so beautiful Mom."
 Initially I was worried.  The violin is a HARD instrument.  The first couple of lessons just involved learning how to hold it.  But he was still enthralled, and would name off the violin parts and practice the different positions.
And I am happy to report, a month later he is learning his first song and there still is no weeping and wailing to get him to practice.  Although, he does get distracted and spends more time dancing around and making goofy faces when he makes it screech than actually playing:)  Hopefully, it will continue.  I always wished that I focused more on learning the flute and piano when I had the chance....

2 comments:

Alli E. said...

That is so great that he has such an interest in it!!

Laura said...

Too bad Dawn Neal doesn't live in Utah! I'm still hoping Zoey will want to take lessons from her (and that she will still be teaching!)