

Josh came out of primary extremely excited yesterday. He started
telling me all about the earthquake in Haiti and the people that were
hurt and that he was going to read 20 books! Eventually I sorted out
that our primary is doing a read-a-thon this Saturday for the victims
of the earthquake in Haiti. Josh is very worried about the people in
Haiti (you've really got to hear him say Haiti), and really really
wants to help. So he's asking all his neighbors and his family to
sponsor him for the read-a- thon. Basically you can pledge per book
he reads or a set amount. He has already knocked on a lot of neighbors doors, and called a lot of family and friends, but I thought I'd surprise him and see if there was anyone else out there who wanted to contribute. So if you're interested, leave a comment with how much you'd like to pledge. Saturday I'll post how many books he read, and then you can donate a pledge to the organization of your choice. It really doesn't have to be much he has
no concept of money - ex: 10 cents a book would be really exciting to
him.
The organizations that the primary suggested are ldsphilanthropies.org/humanitarian-services (100% goes to disaster relief) - note this is a more direct website than I'd previously told people.
unicef.org (100% goes to disaster relief)
or americanredcross.org.(91% goes to disaster relief)
Justin and I had been talking all last week about how to help, where our money would best serve, if there was something more we could do etc. I think this is a great way to start. It's been so amazing to see my regularly shy little boy (the one who STILL hates being left with a babysitter) show no fear when talking to people about this. He can tell anyone about the "people that are hurt in Haiti" "All the buildings that fell down" "they need money to make new buildings" etc. He does get distracted and start talking about pictures he drew, friends, etc, but still he does pretty good. It brought home the "become as a little child" saying.
1 comment:
That is so stinkin' cute. I even want to sponsor him. How about .50 a book. Yay Josh!
Post a Comment