Saturday, January 16, 2010

Reality

I know I know two posts in one day.... But I have to get something out there. I have decided that I don't like "reality". This statement is prompted by the trip we took to the library as a family today. Now you all know that I lOVE books - really I get giddy - soon I will finish and publish my "I am a complete nerd" post, but that is for another time....I begged Justin to come to the library with us today as it has been several months since I have been able to browse for books. With one kid it's possible, two not so much. Last time I tried to look for books for myself, Josh got lost....
Anyways, so I decided to be an adult and browse in the adult section today as opposed to the children's and sometimes the young adults section that I usually frequent. Now don't misunderstand I do like some adult books, mainly biographies, and some bestsellers, but in general I have rotten luck when browsing in the adult fiction section. I usually take home something that is gross, violent, or just outright depressing. So today I figured I was fairly safe in the classics section. I ended up with Cider House Rules. It sounded semi-intriguing - don't laugh if it's incredibly uneducated of me not to know what the book's about - and I knew there was a movie made out of it. So I started reading. I knew from the inside cover that it was about a Doctor who ran an orphanage and that this doctor was pro-abortion for purely compassionate reasons. It started out pretty good and I figured it was good for me to read something outside of my little bubble and attempt to understand another point of view - even if I disagree with it - with every fiber of my being. (I know corny phrase- moving on). Then it just got bad. The abortion thing aside, all the characters have major character flaws which are just accepted instead of attempting to overcome them. So my conclusion is: I will stick with great books like the Narnia series and biographies of great people. My time is too precious to get all depressed. Just for the record I made it through about 100 pages before giving up:) Now if I could just get rid of this helpless desire I have now to go out and adopt thousands of orphans and foster children....preferably get rid of it by doing something constructive instead of just forgetting about it... any ideas?

P.S. While we're on the subject of books I did just read a really good one - yes technically a Young Adult one called Star Girl. It is great, easy - I read the whole thing in a day, but makes you think. I will make all my kids read it at some point.

5 comments:

the W* family said...

I'm so glad that I'm not the only adult who frequents the YA/childrens section for reading material. Mike has teased me for a long time about that... but, it's SO hard to find a decent adult book!

tiffany and darren said...

great post! i have to say i love the young reader books too. i read star girl, loved it! if you haven't read princess academy yet, and you like younger books, this is my absolute favoritet book out there and you would like it too. by shannon hale (a utah author, also wrote the goose girl series)

Amber said...

Funny--someone gave me a copy of Star girl, and I don't think I ever finished it. Maybe I will have to pick it up again, maybe I didn't get far enough into it :-)

ashlee said...

I am so with you! I hate dirty books that people try to pass off as the norm. I am all about good princess books with a clean love story.

2x2momma said...

I have had that happen to me sooo many times at the library too! I like to browse at friends' houses now. Come on over to the Puente library next time you're here... ;)