I love conference, and especially Sister Beck. I feel so rejuvenated, renewed and refocused after every conference session. It's one of those things where I sit down to listen and realize how much I'd forgotten from last conference, how much my focus can shift from eternal things in just a short time.
This conference session seemed all about parenting to me. Justin kept saying, "Dang it, I used to be able to not listen to these ones because they didn't apply to me:)" I was amazed at how much they talked about the importance of parenting, and in my own thoughts I began to term it, "parenting with purpose". This may have stood out to me because it's been on my mind a lot in general lately. My wonderful friend Melissa gave me the book, Teaching Your Children Joy, which the Joy school program is based on, for my birthday, and I am loving it. They talk about not parenting by reaction, but actively teaching your children things that they need to know and that you want them to know. This book, combined with conference has made me really think about what I am teaching my children, how they are each different, what they each need, evaluate how they are each doing and so much more. I unfortunately haven't had a chance to talk in depth with Justin about this recently... but I'm sure he's thinking the same thing:) - doesn't life just get sooo busy...
One of my favorite questions was asked by Sister Lant, "What do my children see when they look at my face? Is it the image of the Savior" I felt Heavenly Father speaking to me then, "Be patient Nicole, teach by example, kids have no sense of a time table, little by little" in other words, "don't be so sharp with your kids when they don't clean up or get ready right away". They still need to learn these things, but it can be done with more love an patience than I've been showing lately. I want them to see the Savior in my face, not a scowl and someone always in a rush to check things off the list.
I also loved Sister Beck's talk. I especially loved how she mentioned:
1.) That we as women will never be able to take care of all those we want to, or do all the good things that our hearts long to - make time for the important things and then make priorities a matter of prayer.
2.) That we need to quit thinking that we deserve a life of more ease. It was meant to be hard.
I'm completely paraphrasing because my kids kept interrupting during that particular talk, but I think those two ideas make a good pair. We can't do everything, and it's important to choose wisely, but life wasn't meant to be a life of luxury. We need to feel the Spirit despite the madness. I've always had issues with the phrase "me time" it seems so counterintuitive to what I want to be: not selfish, service orientated etc - while I do think it is important to have some kind of out, some way to relax, some way to be just yourself and not one of the other roles that we play, it doesn't need to happen everyday for an extended period of time.
My heart is full. I think I can make some more progress in my life, I can push onward, I can be more patient, I can fill my home with the Spirit, I can make it back to my Savior.
3 comments:
So I have been meaning to comment for awhile, I love your last post and Anna's mad face is great!! Also I loved the parts of conference that I got to listen to as well, now I just need to make time to listen to the parts that I got interrupted during :). Miss you guys!
This post is such a great reminder to me of working harder to be patient with my kids. I feel like I was doing pretty good until they all started getting bigger and getting into things a lot more than before and napping less ;) I hear my voice getting sharper, my temper getting shorter, etc. compared to the way things were even a few months ago. They are learning, and so am I.
After bike riding today it took us 15 minutes to get from the car to the elevator door. I just let them take their time and I didn't lose my temper. We had some crazy moments, like when Christian decided to run away after the other kids were in the elevator and it went up to the third floor without me and they were all screaming... so it wasn't necessarily peaceful, but I didn't get mad although I hope that experience doesn't make me negligent (although I was praying a lot that they would be OK until the elevator came back down- does that count?)
I love all the pics...Anna's mad face reminds me so much of Josh's! I haven't listened to any of conference yet but I'm sure it will speak to the impatient mother in me:)
Post a Comment