I truly love books. These are a few places that you can frequently find books in my house, but it doesn't include the shelves and baskets in my kids' room. I have a special weakness for kids books. They're so reliably clean (as in not violent etc) and there is a fabulous thrift store by us that sells them for 50 cents to $1. I always stop there when I'm sick of reading the same books and before a trip. I've been on a reading kick lately (Other projects have definitely suffered) and I keep having people ask me what books I recommend so here are my recent reads and my old favorites. Sorry no beautiful picture of the cover with the titles- i've only got so much time...
Recent Reads:
Princess Academy - I would highly recommend this book, and actually all books by Shannon Hale
Gracling - I really liked this book - it kind of made me wish I knew how to fight - although it did bug me that the main character does not believe in marriage - it would not have affected the story line at all if she got married - so bugged.
The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society - great historical fiction about the Channel Islands during World War II.
Fly Boys - This book and Flags of our Fathers are by James Bradley about soldiers during WWII. I really liked all that I learned from them, they are not brutally graphic, but I did have to skim a couple of descriptions. Truly there are some amazing people in the world.
P.S. I love you - This is a good light read. There is a tad much getting drunk, but it is a sweet story, totally different from the movie. My only complaint is that it seemed a little too simplistic. I'm not sure that's the right word, it just makes me sad when people don't believe in something after death.
Hunger Games/Catching Fire - Loved both of them - although there was not quite enough love story for me - Great for both girls and guys
The Art Students War- from the adult section with what that implies.... nothing graphic, but probably wouldn't be found in the YA section. I can't decide if I loved this book, it was interesting, and had a different perspective on a lot of things.
The Book Thief- I absolutely LOVED this book. It is beautifully written. I used to be kind of bugged by people who said that Twilight wasn't well written - now I agree - they are right. Twilight is a fabulous story - it is on my favorites list... but this book is well written and gives you lots to think about. It also takes place during WWII and it made me wonder how much I would have done to help? How much is enough? Both my mom and my husband said, "As long as you do all that you have the opportunity to do it is enough". I think that's a good answer...
The Ugly Series - Really liked the first one, the rest were somewhat frustrating.
Old Favorites Books and Authors:(I've found if I love one book, I usually love the rest that the author writes)
Madeline L'Engle - Especially A Ring of Endless Light and Troubling a Star
Julie and Christy - Catherine Marshall - Historical fiction technically, but both are based closely on true stories. They are completely uplifting, romance, heroism etc.
C.S. Lewis - Absolutely everything he writes, children and adult is amazing
Elizabeth Spears - She writes YA historical fiction. I especially love the Witch of Blackbird Pond and Calico Captive
Gerald Lund: I love his Christ series - I've read it at least 3 times. I just love the combination of storytelling and insight.
Robyn McKinley - She's a fantasy writer, my favorites are her re-written fairy tales (Beauty, Sherwood Forest) she has also written the Blue Sword series that won the Newberry Honor Award
Twilight series - who needs to say more - still a Jacob fan for the record....
Ender's Game - I love this book and the books after it that involve Bean - the ones that follow ender are a little weird for me...Orson Scott Card - he's written some great other stuff as well.
I'm sure more will come to me later. I noticed a trend with my favorites list. They are all pretty much YA books. They are also pretty much all fiction. There are a lot of other books I like. I like to read light romances, or mysteries. I also really love biographies and other non-fiction (historical and religious mostly). However, in order to make the favorites list I have had to read it at least twice. I really enjoy books with a story that I can get into, but that make me think about something deeper through the storyline, the characters etc.
I hope I'm passing the love to my children. I also need a couple of recommendations for a childless flight I will have the privilege of taking in two weeks (yay for San Francisco!) - or maybe I'll just buy a trashy magazine instead:)

6 comments:
Thanks for all of those...I am going to pick up a few of your recommendations for said childless flight!
So many great books! I love quite a few on your list and am excited for the new suggestions. One book I read recently and really enjoyed was The Poisonwood Bible.
Robin McKinley is one of my favorites too!
I love the book These Is My Words (for a childless flight), The Looking Glass Wars is another fun YA style book.
What are you doing in San Fransisco?
I LOVED the Book Thief! And I am a Jacob fan too.
You asked me about books and I'm just going to do a post like this one. I'm just waiting for my computers to come back from the shop (data transers) so that I can access my list of books from the past 5 years. But look for it soon.
I'm always looking for new books to read and never know where to start so thank you for all your favorite suggestions! I feel inspired!
I'm excited for some new reads. I just finished Catching fire and am so excited for the last book. Keep up the recommendations.
Post a Comment