Thursday, March 14, 2013

Pearl Harbor

From January 11th-January 16th Justin and I were in the tropical paradise that is the Oahu North Shore without kids.  It was fabulous, although we did spend a significant amount of time talking about how it would be fun to take the kids back.,,, After Josh was one we escaped on a three day cruise to Mexico, After Anna, a four day trip to Cancun, and Max a six day trip to Hawaii.  Anyone else see a pattern?  I'm sure my parents are hoping we don't have too many more kids.  But it was so wonderful to just be able to talk and hang out and relax together.  Justin even took a nap, in the middle of the day, that's how relaxed he was...On Sunday, after Justin giving me a surfing lesson in Waikiki we went to Pearl Harbor.
 It was amazing.  I love history and the informational video and visitors center were awesome.  We didn't pay to go out to the battleship, but just went to the Arizona Memorial.

 The flag is such a powerful image.....
 All the names of the men who died.  There were lots of siblings and even a father and a son.  Veterans of this battle have the opportunity of joining their brothers in arms here, on this ship, after they die, and a significant number of them have chosen to do so.  I think that itself speaks volumes about this day.  After living 60 ish years after this battle, marrying, having children etc.  they still want to rest next to their comrades.
 This is what the ship looks like.



1 comment:

Laura said...

So fun and inspiring to see your trip. Now I want to plan one of my own!