Saturday, September 13, 2008

Phone Calls

I just have to say I absolutely HATE making phone calls. Even with my really good friends I prefer to email a lot of the time. Just ask Justin - I make him call everyone for me - especially companies, cable company etc. So when we were asked to help with Proposition 8 phone calls, I seriously dread it, for days before I have to do it, get sick to my stomach etc. For those of you not in California, Proposition 8 is the amendment to the State Constitution that would make marriage only between a man and a woman. The First Presidency has asked us to do all we can (in coordination with other groups) to get this passed. However, I actually had a really cool experience today, and I'm sharing it because I'm sure a lot of you feel the same way about the phone calls etc that I do. I was running this morning totally dreading the phone calls that I knew I was going to have to make when I got home and kind of praying about it at the same time, and I just felt really strongly that this is important to Heavenly Father. The family is one of the most sacred things to him and as much as I hate it it's important for me to support this proposition. I knew this, but I hadn't really felt it yet. And the thing is I can totally see the other side. The people against Prop 8 have done some really effective advertising and the majority of people that I contact see no reason not to let everyone marry. I won't go into all the arguments for Prop 8 right now - feel free to leave me a comment if you want the facts:)- but I just knew it was important. And I kind of had fun today while I was making the phone calls. I'm not going to lie I was always a little bit excited when an answering machine picked up and their were 5 registered voters connected to that number and I could just cross them off, but it wasn't extreme torture and for that I'm grateful. I actually laughed quite a bit today and realized that while a select few people are unpleasant the majority are helpful and that I can do my part in a small way. Afterall, I always want to be more involved in my community, have a deeper meaning to my life etc. I just pictured more volunteering at a literacy clinic than political activism (that's Justin's department, the freak actually ENJOYS making sales calls, calling people he doesn't know etc.)

So anyways, sorry for doing two posts without pictures, I'll put up some good ones tomorrow - but I wanted to write this while it was still fresh so I can go back and read it when they ask me to do things like talk to people in person.....

P.S. I just realized that my family is going to laugh when they read this and remember how much time I spent on the phone with boyfriends in high school and college. But just for the record - that's totally different:)

2 comments:

Amber said...

Talking with Boyfriends IS TOTALLY different! :-) Good job on making those calls, that is a good way to get involved, and it is nice that it sounds like it was all organized and you just had to jump on the bandwagon and help out.

peachytiffers said...

I feel exactly the same way about talking on the phone! I would much rather text, email, or go to lunch and talk! I agree, boyfriends and how we were in high school is soooo different!