We had a lot of this today. Josh has been congested for about 5 weeks again and I'm pretty sure that it's gone into a sinus infection again, which may have been contributing to the problem. I have an appointment with an allergist in a couple of weeks, since no one else can find anything wrong. In my head I had gone back and forth between cancer and a growth spurt as the cause of the problem(the growth spurt theory takes too much explaining for this post). He'd already been tested for allergies once, but hopefully that is the root of the problem. It got so bad we had to leave his last class of gymnastics early. He screamed so loud in my ear that I literally had ringing in it on the way home.
Then I hadn't really figured out what we were going to do for family home evening, I considered not doing it, but that just didn't feel quite right. I've been listening to the conference talks on CD in the car (I know nerdy, but it has really helped my outlook on life since I haven't been stellar at my scriptures lately) and I remembered something Elder Bednar said in his talk. Just have an informal question asking and answering time. I realize that this was probably meant for older kids, but Josh is an excellent question asker and he'd asked some doozies lately - I did restrict it to religious questions.
It was the best family home evening we'd ever had. Justin is a great question answerer. We went through pretty much the entire plan of salvation and the Spirit was so strong. Anna was even a gem it almost seemed like she was kind of listening as she put dominoes in a cup, and took them out again, lined up in a perfectly straight line (Justin is kind of worried she has OCD tendencies).
Anyways, the point - it's all worth it, and I want to make sure I remember it.

PS after Josh finally calmed down, he did come give me a big hug and say he wouldn't throw tantrums anymore, and that Daddy had taught him how to make new friends - you just say, "Hi I'm Josh, give me the rock, will you be my friend?" The gymnastics tantrum was about not getting to sit by "people he knows". I did point out that maybe not everyone knows what "give me the rock means, but whatever"
3 comments:
Poor little guy! Nicole, I have had worse sinus problems this year than I have ever, ever had in my life. The headaches are just awful...so bad that I almost threw up during the dedicatory prayer of the Gila Valley Temple! (prayed to live through a prayer) and I have heard countless others say the same thing! You are so good to be so patient, for I am sure I would throw a tantrum every time I get sick...and I am near 50!
So impressed with you FHE determination. And I LOVE both pictures of Josh. Important to remember the first one happens and the second to remind you why you keep him when the first one happens!
I love the "give me the rock comment" mostly because it took me a minute to understand. I thought he was demanding my rock :-)
Post a Comment