Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Perspective



It had been a slightly rough day yesterday. Josh hasn't take a nap in almost three weeks and it's starting to show. And my kids have just figured out how to bug each other and enjoy doing it. I felt like there had been constant screaming in my house. And they have both mastered the art of flopping. Anna will walk up to Josh and push him lightly, he'll look at me to make sure I'm watching, then sprawl on the ground screaming. There had been too many time outs, and too much of me clenching my fists and trying to figure out how to discipline, get my point across and not lose my temper. My friend Melissa has some excellent ideas on her blog which you all should read (click on Ian and Melissa on the sidebar), but they were just not working for me yesterday. We had planned on going to the Visitors Center for family home evening on Monday, but it didn't happen so we decided to go last night.

Let me pain this picture for you.

Anna - one pig tail in, the rest of her hair totally crazy. She has multiple food stains on her shirt including tootsie roll, and beans

Josh: cowboy boots, pajama shorts and shirt that don't match, multiple food stains as well

Me: Glasses, and probably looked like I've been hit by a truck.

Justin: normal

I looked at him on the way over and commented that he was the only one that looked half-way decent, and he agreed... jerk....

The Spirit can make everything better. One look at the Christus and I immediately felt better, even ashamed for the trivial things that were bothering me. Anna looked at him with complete joy, and then got immediately stressed about his hands. She kept pointing at her hands and saying "owie"

We listened to their God's plan for Families presentation. They were both riveted the whole time. It was so fun to watch Josh learn new things, and just soak things up. You could even tell Anna was really feeling. As soon as we got out she ran back to the Christus screaming, "Jesus!" Not so reverent but definitely joyful.

All is well. I can patiently teach my kids - with a lot of help and strengthening.


7 comments:

ashlee said...

I think my family needs a trip to the visitor's center. They have been constantly fighting and I have been constantly frustrated.

The Leiters said...

I am very impressed with how much you have been blogging, I've loved it, your kids are so cute and Natalie is so excited to see them at Christmas!

Ashley said...

So I know this wasn't really the point of your post, but I've been taking these "love and logic" parenting classes. You've probably already read the book, but if not, I think you'd really like some of their ideas. Of course, nothing can help like the Spirit can!

Jenn said...

I love hearing from you! Your children are darling, and you sound like a wonderful mother!! Are you guys still in California?

Katie said...

Oh I laughed out loud when you described all of your appearances especially the fact that Justin was normal...so typical! Maybe I should take my kids to the visitors center...
(and I am blogging again...no more worst blogger comments)

2x2momma said...

Thank you for sharing this! Sounds like Anna's hitting a stage my younger boys did a few months ago not long after they hit nursery where the fighting is sometimes constant. It's so frustrating!! I don't know how people live through this some days!! I love that you went to the visitor's center, we rode our bikes there on Monday for FHE. It was nice, although we didn't get to see much because of the noise... (From our children)
Ashley, I've got two Love and Logic books on my list- maybe I'll start reading them next week since I've heard such good things.

Laura said...

Why is it that when the family has been through the ringer, dad can still look normal? Happens here too. I'm amazed that zoey also likes the Christus. It is so great having the visitors center open.