I walk in and there is a girl on the ellyptical machine. When she sees me she points at the TV and says, "I hope this doesn't freak you out." I don't look at it and say, "Oh you're fine." I'm always self-conscious when I get caught watching old re runs of Saved by the Bell while working out, so I figured it would be fine. I guess the words "freak you out" didn't really sink in. I start running, look up at the TV and she is watching an autopsy. An actual autopsy on TV! Gross! It was an old man with nipple rings, and they were trying to figure out why he died. They thought it might have been a psychological thing since apparently the nipple rings were new. So I spend the next ten minutes watching the clock on the treadmill scared to look up. Time goes REALLY slow when you're watching the clock in case you didn't know.
Then, I hear someone else come in and she leaves. Hallelujah! I can change the channel. I change it to the news. I figured it was a safe bet, the gym is more crowded at night and I'm sure not everyone wanted to watch Saved by the Bell. I notice that it's a guy that came in, and he starts lifting weights. He waits a minute and says, "Hi, I haven't seen you here before. I thought I knew everyone that worked out on Monday nights right after dinner." No wonder weird autopsy girl left so quickly, she must have met him before.....
He won't stop talking to me. I let him know I'm married, hoping that will shut him up. Nope. I learn that he is a liberal (I had turned on Fox news, and he asked if I was a Republican like everyone else in Utah). I learned that he is an only child which has made him more outgoing. I hear about an experience he had as a child which made him realize how different he was, not having siblings etc etc. All this while I am running in front of him, with my back toward him. Try answering any questions like that. Apparently he couldn't hear me, so he decided to turn down the TV so we could chat better. At that point, I cut my workout short and slowly edged toward the door.
Mornings in the gym are soo much better!
4 comments:
Crazy!!!! The nights at my gym are good because no one is ever there!
Oh how funny Nicole and so sorry too! If you ever want someone to join you just text me. I promise I won't talk about random things or watch an autopsy! ;)
That is so funny! Too bad you just didn't have headphones and you could just tune him out :-)
LOL poor guy-- I mean you are a nice friendly person, if he had you running for the hills he must have been just as awkward as that sounded :)
Post a Comment