I have no idea yet how many kids we will have, but I have felt like we should be having another baby for quite some time - I did have a brief reprieve from that feeling for a couple months after the move, but it's back:) - and for a variety of reasons it hasn't been working out quite yet - currently it's insurance issues not medical, no need to start any rumors about our fertility - and I have been struggling with that. ...I actually got teary today and asked Justin, But what if Heavenly Father sends our baby to another family?" Thank heaven for a kind husband who answered me seriously and sweetly...I have a wonderful cousin who has 6 children who are all close together in age, she gets so much joy out of her family and seems to thrive on the challenge. There is no way my kids will be as close together as hers, but even if they aren't is that for me??? Is it wrong if it's not??
I know the answers to these questions rationally, but not necessarily intuitively right now. Then today I read our Power of Moms article for the month entitled Defying Gravity, becoming who you were meant to be. I was so inspired, especially since we had just set our family goals. And I spent the day in unusual productivity, spending time with my kids, taking care of the house, working on my own goals (working out, piano etc) and reaching out to others in several different ways.
Which led me to feel that I am OK right now with where I'm at. My kids are at darling ages, and are getting big enough that I have some time for myself. If I had a baby right now, I know that I wouldn't be able to accomplish half the things that I did today that made me feel so fulfilled. I know there are some people out there who can accomplish a ton no matter how many children they have, but I know myself and my desire for sleep and I simply wouldn't. So right now I'm OK with where our little family is at. I can feel, physically at times, at least one more little one waiting up there for us, but there is a time and a season for all things.
What I'm trying to say in a jumbled way is how much I've realized recently that each of us really has our calling. Some were meant to be mothers of many. Some were meant to be mothers of fewer (which is still a huge challenge) and accomplish other things as well. Some were meant to be in the workforce, Some kids thrive on having lots of siblings, some need more individual attention. Some mothers do well with chaos, some need order. Our needs are so varied. It is just amazing to me how we each have our purpose and how we can each discover what it is...
Tonight I feel grateful...
3 comments:
This was a cute post. I love to hear people talk about how they love being a mom and want a lot of kids because most people don't talk about the joys of being a mother.
Alissa
as for your 'what else are moms supposed to do' comment...i had a similar thought today that hopefully makes sense. It partly feels like learning to be a mom is such an investment in time and mental capacity it would be a waste to ' change careers'. I mean would you you go through four years of medical school and three years of residency...then decide you dont want to be a doctor?
I totally get how something makes sense logically, how you can answer your own questions, but deep down you still wonder. Thanks for being honest.
Post a Comment